Cigna Insurance Coverage for Alcohol & Drug Addiction Treatment
Cigna serves more than 180 million customers and is commonly accepted for drug and alcohol treatment. Cigna plans will vary in rehab insurance coverage amounts but may include benefits for:
- inpatient treatment
- outpatient treatment
- follow-up case management
- referrals to local community support groups and online resources
Substance Abuse Coverage Provided by Cigna
Depending on your location and your health plan, the level of rehab insurance coverage for substance abuse will vary. Typically, pre-authorization is required for substance abuse treatment benefits through Cigna health insurance.
A pre-authorization can be obtained by visiting a medical professional that deems addiction treatment as medically necessary.
Individuals may also be required to meet their deductibles or pay a copayment if their insurance does not fully cover the services. A copayment is a predetermined amount that someone pays for addiction treatment.
Coinsurance, on the other hand, is a percentage of the costs of rehab treatment, and a deductible is an amount someone will pay for covered services before Cigna health insurance pays for substance abuse treatment services.
Mental Health and Substance Abuse Services from Cigna
In recent years Cigna added a Mental and Behavioral Health division to provide more resources to its customers. In addition to their blog content, individuals can access an educational series, tools, and podcast on mental health topics.
Although these resources can provide useful information, they cannot replace a doctor. Individuals should always consult with a medical professional about their condition and necessary treatments.
Types of Addiction Treatment Cigna Will Cover
The types of addiction treatment Cigna rehab insurance typically covers include:
- Outpatient Rehab is mainly hosted at hospitals, mental health facilities, or counselors’ offices. An outpatient treatment session can take place once or twice a week for three months to a year.
- Intensive Outpatient Treatment – Intensive outpatient programs (IOP) typically meet more frequently than standard outpatient programs. They tend to last for one to three months.
- Partial Hospitalization – Partial hospitalization programs (PHP) usually meet five days a week for most of the day. These programs may be a good fit for people who are struggling with severe substance abuse issues.
- Inpatient Rehab – Inpatient, also known as residential treatment, is when someone lives full-time at the treatment center for a month or more. Inpatient treatment may be a good fit for anyone who needs treatment for co-occurring mental health disorders or who have not had success in an outpatient program.
Cigna plans that are most likely to cover addiction treatment are those provided through an employer, with support from an Employee Assistance Program (EAP).
Will Cigna Insurance Pay for Local or Out-of-State Treatment?
Insurance coverage from Cigna includes both local and out-of-state addiction treatment. However, individuals will want to check which rehab centers are considered in-network or out-of-network.
Because Cigna typically requires prior authorization, it is best practice to verify your insurance will cover treatment provided by the rehab center you’ve chosen.
How to Check Your Cigna Coverage
In general, the best way to check your insurance coverage is to reach out to your insurance provider directly. This can be done by calling the number on the back of your insurance card. Additionally, you can check your coverage amount online through the Cigna client portal.
You can also contact a member of our admissions team, 100 percent obligation free, to see how much your insurance will cover for treatment services provided by Elevate Addiction Services.
Benefits of Enrolling in Addiction Treatment Away from Home
It’s important to note that even if insurance doesn’t cover a rehab program’s total cost, it doesn’t mean someone should not attend treatment there. In most cases, there will be some out-of-pocket costs associated with addiction treatment, whether it is your deductible, a copay, or coinsurance required by your plan.
The most important thing is that the addicted individual finds a treatment program that is a good fit for them. When a treatment program helps someone regain control over their substance abuse, no amount of cost is too much.
Verify Your Insurance and Find the Right Addiction Treatment Program
Elevate Addiction Services accepts Cigna. Elevate believes in a holistic addiction treatment approach. This means that we focus on the whole person, mind, body, and spirit. We do not subscribe to the idea that addiction is an incurable disease. We know that anyone is capable of healing if that is what they wish.
You can verify your insurance on our site. We also offer other payment options for those who cannot use insurance to pay for their treatment. Contact our admissions team today for more details.
- UMR Insurance Coverage for Drug Rehab
- Humana Insurance Coverage for Drug Rehab
- ValueOptions Insurance Coverage for Drug Rehab
This page does not provide medical advice
Written by Elevate Addiction Services | © 2022 Elevate Addiction Services | All Rights Reserved