UMR Insurance: Will it Cover Drug and Alcohol Rehab?

March 3, 2021

UMR is not a traditional insurance company. A branch of UnitedHealthcare, UMR is a third-party administrator that manages claims for other companies. Although UMR is not an insurance agency, its purpose is to ensure your claims are paid correctly so that your healthcare costs are kept to a minimum.

Individuals with UMR typically have it through a self-insured company. Although UMR is not technically insurance, most people who have UMR as their insurance claims processor have behavioral health benefits, including addiction treatment. 

About UMR Addiction Treatment Coverage

If you have UMR, you may qualify to have a portion of the cost of treatment at Elevate Addiction Services paid for. 

UMR members will likely have access to: 

  • medical detox centers 
  • inpatient or residential treatment 
  • intensive outpatient programs (IOP) 
  • partial hospitalization 

Even though UMR is not an insurance provider, the organization can help find coverage for your alcohol and drug treatment expenses. 

How Can I Check My UMR Benefits?

The most direct way to determine your UMR benefit is to log in to their website and view your policy information. Or you may contact your insurance provider directly by calling the number on the back of your ID card. 

How To Cover Treatment Costs Not Covered By UMR

The extent of your coverage towards addiction treatment will depend on the parameters of your insurance policy. Individuals can determine their out-of-pocket costs by: 

  • finding a treatment center 
  • verifying their benefits with that center (you can verify your benefits with us here)
  • gaining pre-authorization from their insurance company 
  • subtracting the total cost of treatment from their benefit information

Depending on your insurance, you may be financially responsible for the following: 

  • your deductible – typically, your insurance benefit will cover between zero to 90 percent of your total treatment cost once this is paid in full. 
  • your coinsurance – depending on the percentage of costs your insurance covers, you will be responsible for the remainder. For example, if your insurance only pays 80 percent of your treatment costs, you will need to pay the remaining 20 percent. 
  • your copay – some insurance plans require people to pay a copay or a flat rate for a specific amount of time during their addiction treatment. 

If you are not able to pay these costs out-of-pocket, here are some alternative methods of payment to consider: 

  • credit cards 
  • small personal loan (typically can be financed through a treatment center) 
  • structured payment plan (through you chosen treatment facility)

Is Addiction Treatment Worth the Price?

There are many ways to treat addiction, and no two people will recover in the same way. Finding an addiction treatment program that suits your individual needs is the best way to ensure a successful, long-term recovery. 

The National Institute on Drug Abuse reports the following facts about effective addiction treatment: 

  • Addiction is a complex but treatable condition. 
  • People need quick access to treatment for better outcomes.
  • Effective treatment programs address ALL the individual’s physical and mental needs, not merely their substance abuse. 
  • Staying enrolled in treatment long enough is critical. 
  • Treatment should address other potential mental health disorders. 
  • Treatment does not need to be voluntary to be effective. 

Verify Your Insurance and Find the Right Substance Abuse Treatment Program

If you or your loved one struggles with a substance abuse problem, we know that it can be frustrating. However, individuals with UMR can find help at Elevate Addiction Services. 

Contact a member of our admissions team or verify your insurance information online to see how your policy’s coverage will apply to treatment at one of our Northern Californian treatment facilities. 

Related Links:

Sources:

This page does not provide medical advice
Written by Elevate Addiction Services | © 2021 Elevate Addiction Services | All Rights Reserved

Overcome Addiction at Elevate Addiction Services
Elevate is currently offering immediate enrollment in inpatient, outpatient, or telehealth programs. Reach out today to learn more.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Table of Contents

Jump to a Section

Article Contents

Treatment Resources

Related Links