Alcohol and Drug Rehab in Reno, Nevada
Reno is the largest city in Northern Nevada. Located in the southern part of Washoe County, the town is nestled into the slope of the Sierra Nevada Mountains in the Truckee Meadows region. The City of Reno and the surrounding area provide countless opportunities for indoor and outdoor recreational activities.
Sadly, many people in Reno struggle with substance abuse. The number of drug overdose deaths has been higher in Washoe County than the rest of Nevada since 2007.
Substance Abuse Trends in Reno & Washoe County, Nevada
Reno is one of five Washoe County ZIP codes that have the highest rate of substance abuse. About 30 percent of the county population lived in these five ZIP codes. However, the residents who live in this area represent 42 percent of hospital inpatient visits and 54 percent of emergency room visits for the county.
- Almost half of all overdose deaths in Washoe County between 2007 and 2013 were due to prescription medications.
- About one-in-ten high school students report taking prescription medications that were not theirs in Washoe County.
- Washoe County reported 74 opioid-related overdose deaths in 2017.
Alcohol Abuse in Reno and Washoe County
Alcohol abuse can contribute to major public health problems, including chronic health issues such as alcoholism and liver damage. People of all ages can be affected by alcohol abuse, including children affected by prenatal alcohol use.
The following are facts and statistics about alcohol abuse in Reno and Washoe County:
- Just over nine percent of adults in Reno are estimated to be heavy drinkers.
- 36.6 percent of adults 18+ in Washoe County reported binge drinking in the past 30 days.
- Washoe County has higher rates of alcohol abuse than the state and the nation.
- Patients under the influence of alcohol or drugs accounted for one-third of the emergency room visits in Washoe Coutin in 2013.
Drug and Alcohol Treatment Programs in Reno, Nevada
Nevada has long been known for the casino culture of Las Vegas, which promotes gambling and alcohol consumption. In Reno, there are drug and alcohol treatment programs available, but not many.
The state is currently experiencing a shortage of mental health professionals, and many who need help cannot access it in their area, including those in Reno and Washoe County.
In this case, it may be wise to travel outside the immediate area to enroll in addiction treatment.
Things to Consider Before Enrolling in Addiction Treatment
Addiction is a complex disorder that can impact a person’s brain and overall behavior, but it is treatable. The effectiveness of an addiction treatment program depends on the person, and no two people will recover in the same way.
When deciding on an addiction treatment program, ask these questions:
- How long has the addiction been happening, and how severe is it?
- Are there any co-occurring disorders like depression or anxiety?
- Has a previous relapse occurred?
- Is there more than one substance involved in the addiction?
Each of these considerations can influence someone’s recovery differently. It is always best to consult with an addiction counselor or your general practitioner before picking a program so that you can ensure it is the best fit for your situation.
Finding the Right Substance Abuse Treatment Program near Reno, Nevada
Individuals in the Reno area interested in traveling for a holistic addiction treatment program should consider Elevate Addiction Services. We offer a convenient location in South Lake Tahoe, California.
Our approach to substance abuse treatment is holistic and evidence-based. All of our clients will participate in the following:
- nutritional planning
- exercise classes like CrossFit and yoga
- mindfulness practice
- recreational activities
To learn more about how Elevate Addiction Services can help you or your loved one, start your path to recovery, contact us.
This page does not provide medical advice
Written by Elevate Addiction Services | ©2020 Elevate Addiction Services | All Rights Reserved