Holistic Heroin Detox and Treatment in Northern California
Heroin abuse, addiction, and overdoses are plaguing the nation, and California is no exception. Believe it or not, many people’s path to heroin use began on legitimate, legal footing.
They were prescribed a prescription painkiller such as OxyContin or Percocet, but when that prescription ran out, they turned to the black market to find the same pain-relieving effects.
That’s where heroin came in–in most cases. Heroin is the illicit alternative that comes from the same plant (the opium poppy, or papaver somniferum) as most common prescription painkillers.
Not only is heroin typically stronger than its legal counterparts, but its exact ingredients vary from dealer to dealer, as there is no regulation. It could be extremely potent in some cases, and in other instances, a substance may be mixed in that could give the user an adverse reaction.
This is why heroin addiction is no trivial matter. The next instance of usage could be the last, so if you or someone you know is continually taking this substance, you should look into treatment right away.
Elevate Addiction Services in Northern California offers 90-day, holistic heroin detox and treatment in an inpatient setting. With our expert inpatient treatment and aftercare program, we’ve seen many former heroin users break free of their addiction and go on to live a positive, fulfilling life.
Heroin Abuse in the United States
Here’s a brief look at how dire the heroin abuse and addiction situation is on a national scale:
- Nearly 11 million Americans reported the nonmedical (aka recreational) use of pain-relieving substances (including heroin) with the past year.
- The number of treatment center admissions primarily for heroin abuse surpassed 300,000 for the first time ever in 2013, according to SAMHSA. Not only have such admissions been on the rise in recent years, but they also now comprise a larger share – nearly 19 percent in 2013 – of all substance abuse admissions.
- From 2002 to 2007, the number of heroin overdose deaths per year hovered around 2,000, according to the National Institute on Drug Abuse. Starting in 2011, there’s been a noticeable jump each year. In 2015, there were almost 13,000 heroin overdose deaths, which was 20 percent more than 2014’s already large number.
- Heroin was involved in nearly 260,000 emergency department visits in 2011, accounting for more than 20 percent of all drug-related visits, according to SAMHSA. It only trailed cocaine and marijuana that year for substances involved in ED visits in the U.S.
Heroin Abuse Stats and Facts in California
To get a more local view at how heroin is affecting communities in California, here are a few statistics to consider:
- According to a 2013-14 SAMHSA survey, nearly 1.4 million Californians reported they had used a pain reliever in a nonmedical, or recreational, fashion within the past year, making ours the only state to top 1 million in this category.
- In 2015, California had nearly 37,000 treatment center admissions with heroin as the primary drug of abuse, which came behind only amphetamines that year.
- White males between the ages of 21 and 35 are most likely to get admitted to a treatment center in California for heroin abuse according to admissions data.
- Roughly 2,000 Californians die each year from heroin or opioid overdose.
- California hospitals treated more than 11,500 people for heroin or opioid overdose in 2013, a 63 percent increase from 2002, according to state health department figures.
Heroin Detox and Treatment Process in Northern California
At Elevate, we understand that heroin withdrawal is challenging to experience and that the cycle of addiction is hard to break. This is why we offer a long-term heroin treatment program out of our expansive inpatient facilities in both Santa Cruz County and South Lake Tahoe, California.
Our inpatient program is highly effective for most clients (even for those who have tried rehab before and struggled). Elevate is a different type of treatment: modern, evidence-based, unique and effective!
A Holistic Path to Recovery
We believe that recovery must be achieved without the aid of mind-altering or pain-relieving detox substances, such as methadone. Therefore, we take a holistic approach to helping each client recover from substance abuse.
We treat the whole person, not just the symptoms: This includes a dual focus on physical and emotional healing.
We use holistic therapies such as yoga and CrossFit, in addition to various one-on-one and group counseling techniques throughout the heroin addiction recovery program. The client’s entire treatment program is carefully customized to his or her background and recovery needs going forward.
Continued Support After Inpatient Treatment
When the client graduates our inpatient program, we offer a wealth of aftercare services to keep the recovery going strongly. Our aftercare guarantees regular check-up calls, ongoing one-on-one support, support group referrals, vocational training and much more.
If you want to overcome heroin addiction for good, Elevate’s inpatient program is a great place to start. We have admissions counselors standing by to listen to your needs today.
Alok Krishna, MD
- View Our Santa Cruz Facility
- View Our Lake Tahoe Facility
- Verify Your Insurance
- For Immediate Help Call:
- (831) 440-3568
This page does not provide medical advice
Written by Elevate Addiction Services | © 2022 Elevate Addiction Services | All Rights Reserved